"...Thus grew the tale of Wonderland: Thus slowly one by one, it's quaint events were hammered out- and now the tale is done...the dream child moving through a land of wonders wild and new, In friendly chat with bird
or beast-and half believe it true..." -Lewis Carroll

Thursday, June 28, 2012

Don't Hit the Road, Jack! Don't Do It!

Is June National Fix the Interstate month?


I ask this because it seems that no matter where I go these days, I am plagued by the sight of those bright orange cones and barrels that so inconveniently block lanes, on ramps, and exits.


On Monday I was a half an hour late for work.


Tuesday I was an hour and a half late for work.


Wednesday 15 minutes...and finally today...I made it on time.


I didn't oversleep. I didn't leave the house late. I simply got stuck in traffic. Because of my half hour delay on Monday, on Tuesday I decided to try an alternate route. See the problem is that in an effort to repave the bridge connecting Indiana and Kentucky, the brilliant lawmakers or whoever it is in Frankfort that makes these decisions, have decided to close the ramp offering easy access to the East End of Louisville via Interstates 64 and 71. I decided I would take the adjacent bridge and then hop back on 65 North from downtown and then access 71 from there. Big Mistake.


I thought that taking the alternate bridge was the perfect solution to my problem. I was soooooo wrong. It took me 15 minutes to get to the traffic light to turn onto the bridge and it took me 30 minutes to actually get across the bridge. I crossed the bridge at 8:30. I had 15 minutes to get to work. 


I weaved my way through downtown Louisville and got onto the on ramp and guess what I ran into? Yup. More traffic. I slowly worked my way up to the ramp to I-71 and finally arrived there only to find that...that ramp was closed too.


And so where did the detour take me you might be asking yourself? Teehee. 


Right back across the bridge into Indiana. So, at 8:45, the time I'm supposed too be arriving at work, I find myself back at the starting point.


I laughed.


I mean, really, what else could I do?


Ha.


So, I got back on the bridge...the one I had been avoiding, and it proved to be much quicker than the alternate. It took me about 2 minutes to cross it versus the 30 minutes on the other one. The only way to get to where I was trying to go was to take a completely out of the way route. However, at 9:30, 1 hour and 20 minutes after I left home, I finally arrived at work.


And then....today in an effort to get home, I sat in traffic at a complete standstill for 25 minutes. I mean...we did NOT move. People were getting out of their cars. It was insane. I feel like I've spent more time in my car than I have anywhere else this week, and spent a ridiculous amount of money on gas. I'm happy to say though, that my work week is officially over and I am on vacation for the next week. 


Maybe by the time I have to go back to work they'll have the roads all cleared. It's unlikely but...hope springs eternal. Ha. 






No comments:

Post a Comment