"...Thus grew the tale of Wonderland: Thus slowly one by one, it's quaint events were hammered out- and now the tale is done...the dream child moving through a land of wonders wild and new, In friendly chat with bird
or beast-and half believe it true..." -Lewis Carroll

Monday, April 25, 2011

Rain, Rain, Go Away!

I've decided that I will follow the example of Noah and begin building an ark. Ha. Just kidding. Seriously though, with all the rain we've had in our area lately, the thought has crossed my mind. It has been raining for literally a week, with only a few brief hours of reprieve.

Last Wenesday, at around 12:30 A.M. I was awakened to deafening silence and the remote whine of a siren. In my coming out sleep confusion, I realized that the power must be out because my fan was no longer on, and my room was quiet. I thought the siren was an ambulance...until I realized that it it was still going off, 5 minutes after I awoke.

I heard my sister rummaging around out in the living room, presumably looking for matches. " Is the power off?" I yelled out to her. She answered in the affirmative as she poked her head in through my bedroom door. "Is that the tornado siren going off?" "Yes" she replied patiently. "What are we going to do?!" She chuckled and said, "I'm sure we'll be fine. You can come in my room if you want". Now, I'm not one to usually panic in storms. Believe it or not, I actually like storms. But in my still sleepy brain the only thing I could process was that there was going to be a tornado and we live on the 2nd story....we would probably die.

I got out of the bed and made my way into her room. It was eeirly quiet both inside and outside. I peeked out of the blinds, and not one single leaf was stirring, and not one single rain drop was falling. Yet, the sirens continued to sound. Weird. Perhaps it was the calm before the storm. As I sat there, chatting with Jess by the light of the candles, my stomach growled. I decided to get some cookies and head back to bed. By the time I was back in my bed, it seemed all hell had broken loose outside. I once again looked out of the window, but this time I saw trees literally bending over in the wind, rain coming down in sheets, and hail pelting the ground and our cars. "Wow" was all I thought. I went back to bed.

It wasn't until later that afternoon that I found out a tornado had touched down almost directly behind our apartment complex. It had ripped a hole in the front of a church, uprooted numerous trees, and cracked telephone poles in half. And I was in the bed. Not even taking cover in the bathroom. How dumb.

Ever since then it's been raining. And raining. And raining some more. It's not supposed to stop for another 3 days at least. It's gotten really, really old. Ha. This is the time of year that I  love to go for walks, sit outside on my balcony, play with dog out of doors, etc. All of these wonderful activities are impossible in the rain. So, to help assuage my boredom I've decided to compile a list of things I don't like about the rain, and then a list of things I do like about it. Feel free to comment and add your own list!

Things I do NOT like about rainy weather:
1. Taking the dog out to use the bathroom ( Why does it seem like he only takes a long time to find the perfect spot, when it's pouring?)

2. The humidity makes my hair frizzy.

3. I always leave my umbrella in the car( and it never seems to rain when I'm getting out of the car, but it always start just as I'm leaving the store).

4. For people who wear flats, your feet are constantly wet.

5. Old people slow waaaaaay down when driving because they can't see.

6. No evening walks.

7. Puddles have a tendency to be unexpectedly deep and despite your best efforts you usually end up traipsing through water ankle deep( this usually happens when wearing flip flops).

8. Kicks the mold up...which makes me itchy, sneezy, and coughy

Things I LIKE about rainy weather:

1. The way the rain sounds on my window as I'm sleeping

2. The fresh clean smell

3. The little mushrooms that pop up in random places =)

4. Rainy weather = Perfect reading weather

5. It's good chili making weather

The best kind of rain, of course, is a cozy rain.  This is the kind the anonymous medieval poet makes me remember, the rain that falls on a day when you'd just as soon stay in bed a little longer, write letters or read a good book by the fire, take early tea with hot scones and jam and look out the streaked window with complacency.  ~Susan Allen Toth, England For All Seasons

DON'T FORGET TO ADD YOUR OWN!

No comments:

Post a Comment