"...Thus grew the tale of Wonderland: Thus slowly one by one, it's quaint events were hammered out- and now the tale is done...the dream child moving through a land of wonders wild and new, In friendly chat with bird
or beast-and half believe it true..." -Lewis Carroll

Monday, January 17, 2011

Not Altogether

The Writer's Block continues....Here is an excerpt from a book I'm reading called The Last Time I Was Me...it chronicles a woman after she has a very humiliating and public nervous breakdown. I can relate to her emotions.

"Thank you , Rosvita. But so that you are fully informed--- my nerves are in tatters; my psyche has been ground to pieces in a mental garbage disposal; and my emotions have been through a meat slicer. I cry easily, although I have made serious efforts not to cry for the last twelve years. I am prone to embarassing outbursts. I have recently made rash and wild decisions, but have yet to regret any of them. I have found that I have a vindictive and vengeful side and am pleased to welcome it into the fold of my other personality characteristics. I am simply," I told her, "not altogether."

There was silence for a moment as we pondered this.

"Well," said Rosvita, "If you can gather up your tattered nerves, your shredded garbage disposal psyche, and your meat sliced emotions, I can take you upstairs to your room, where you can further your nervous breakdown."

The Last Time I Was Me
Cathy Lamb 2008

No comments:

Post a Comment