"...Thus grew the tale of Wonderland: Thus slowly one by one, it's quaint events were hammered out- and now the tale is done...the dream child moving through a land of wonders wild and new, In friendly chat with bird
or beast-and half believe it true..." -Lewis Carroll

Monday, January 3, 2011

The Dachshund Chronicles

Yesterday as I was preparing to leave my apartment, I decided to put a fresh garbage bag in our nearly overflowing garbage can. (SN: I think we need to buy a new one altogether, the current can has a strange odor that, so far, even bleach hasn't been able to conquer.) Sitting next to the door leading out of the apartment were a banker box, filled with left over Christmas wrapping paper, and a garbage bag containing what I think was an assortment of clothes and trash. Let me just say that my Little(sister, yes I call her that even though she's 20), had put this bag in front of the door 3 days before, and had proceeded to go past it about 50 times a day without taking it to the compactor. So, being fed up, I decided to take it out myself.

Wearing my huge winter coat, my purse on my arm,  2 garbage bags and a banker box in my hands, I struggled to get the door open. I sat some of the things down on the floor, repositioned my purse, and picked them up again, as my dog, Oliver, danced around my feet, and generally got in my way. As I got everything together, and at last opened the door, Ollie shot out of it before I even realized what had happened. He flew down the stairs and around the corner of the apartment building. I dropped my purse, the box and the bags, and ran down as fast as I could. My neighbor had gotten out of his car just in time to see Ollie go by in a red blur. " I think he's in Indianapolis by now" he said. Funny guy. 

I looked toward the end of the building and there was Oliver...still running and barking like a crazy dog the whole time. Everyone who was outside stopped and turned to look to see what all the commotion was . I stood in one spot and yelled for Oliver to come( I have learned the pointlessness of chasing after him...he thinks it's a game). At last he stopped barking and ran back in my direction. I reached out to grab him as he ran by me but my hand merely grazed his tail, fortunately, it was enough to slow him down. I took a lunge forward and grabbed him. "Caught ya!"

We made our way back up the stairs, waded through the box, it's lid now scattered across the landing, the hastily thrown down garbage bags, and my purse. I yelled, "Bad dog!", gave his nose a few swats, and then put him in his kennel, his roaming privileges for the afternoon revoked. 

I re-gathered the garbage and put it into the car. As I sat there trying to catch my breath, I couldn't help but start to giggle. Oliver had simply gone insane for a few minutes. I mean, wouldn't we all love to be allowed the luxury to do that? Go running in reckless abandon down the street, screaming incoherently along the way? Teehee. With that thought in mind, I couldn't stay mad at my little Doxie for long. Just another day in the life!

My Oliver(he's a miniature long-haired dachshund).

No comments:

Post a Comment