"...Thus grew the tale of Wonderland: Thus slowly one by one, it's quaint events were hammered out- and now the tale is done...the dream child moving through a land of wonders wild and new, In friendly chat with bird
or beast-and half believe it true..." -Lewis Carroll

Saturday, January 29, 2011

Flaws and All

I am not the most patient soul in the world. In fact, my lack of patience is probably number one on my list of character flaws. Unless you consider my little issue with self-control...er...the lack there of, I mean.

These two character flaws work hand in hand to get me in a LOT of trouble. It has been said that knowing or understanding is half the battle, so, perhaps, I'm not as far gone as originally thought.

Let me break this down for you Internet World...say I see something that I really want (i.e, a Coach purse). Said purse runs at about 300 dollars. Now, the wise thing to do would be to save up money from a few paychecks and then buy the purse. But lets also say that I have a credit card with a limit of 6,000 dollars. What do you think I do? Do I wait patiently and practice the almost forgotten art of delayed gratification? Or in keeping with our society's instant gratification trend....buy the purse with my credit card?

I'll tell you what happens. I start off with very good intentions and make it two weeks. I have 150 dollars set aside for the purse...half way there. One day I go moseying through the mall and happen to stop at the Coach counter in Dillards. The sales lady( who sadly enough knows me by name) starts talking about the purse she knows I've been looking at...I ask to look at the purse again...I hold it in my hands, smell the fresh leather...aaaannnddd I'm done for. I decide that I absolutely HAVE to have that purse right NOW. My non-self-control totally sabotages my resolve to be patient.

*Sigh*. I wish I could say that this problem begins and ends with shopping, but I cannot. Unfortunately, this problem extends into just about every aspect of my life. It always seems like no matter how much I resolve to be patient and to wait for something, my need to have what I want when I want it, sabotages my efforts.

GAH! The insanity of it all!

Anyone else have this problem?

No comments:

Post a Comment